Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Parkinson's Beast


October, 2000, This is the day I was personally diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.
It's a day to stand strong in facing the beast and telling it that I have not succumbbed to being it's fool and vow another year not to be suckered into believing its lies. It's a time to vow another year as its opponent and thus on that day yearly I shall face in square in its eyes and declare the following:

1) PD beast-- I will not be fooled into believing that YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF ME. You may have destroyed some of my brain dopamine-producing cells but you will never destroy my spirit. My spirit will stay strong despite your blows towards my head and heart. I will continue to dodge your blows and stand up again if knocked down.

2) PD Beast-- I will not gullibally give in to your lies about how you will REDUCE MY LIFE SPAN WITH PD CAUSED COMPLICATIONS because I have and will continue exercising, eating healthy, and taking supplements to keep my body at its peak. I will live longer, be healthier and happier.

3) PD Beast-- I will not be played as your fool by thinking my QUALITY OF LIFE will be any less because of you... But, on the contrary, my enemy, my friend, the quality of my life will be heightened in spite of you for I will make effort to cherish every moment with family and friends reaching out to give in any way I can... Even if I am reduced to total physical immobility, I will remain positive and strong in spirit to give to everyone an example and inspiration of strength, faith and reliance on God's holy spirit.

4) PD Beast-- I will not be lulled into believing that THERE ARE THINGS I CANNOT DO ANYMORE. Because of you I may need to creatively adapt to accomplish a task or goal but I vow to embrace you as part of me and not give up any goals I have or will desire to make for I am told to love my enemies-- you are one of my prime enemies which has taken permanent residence within me refusing to leave. Thus, I take you with me as I run a marathon, play outdoor games , as I drive, work, eat, sleep and as I breathe each breath. You shall keep me humble, modest, and respectful in reminding me of human frailaty and immortality... Thus, I will remain strong, determined, and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment